Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Recap of September

Let me start off by saying how excited I am that October's recipe involves apples! When my parents were in town this past weekend, we went apple picking up in Harvard, Mass - and I am now the proud owner of one peck of Cortland, Macoun, and Empire apples that need a home in a nice tasty pastry.

As for September's recipe, I admit I've been delinquent in posting my response, especially since I actually made the cupcakes during the first week of the month! They disappeared quickly when I took them to our friends Aaron and John's BBQ. Instead of Guinness, I ended up using a delicious Rogue Shakespeare Stout. It's supposed to have chocolately-undertones, so it seemed like it would mesh well with the other flavors.

The cake-part of the cupcake was tasty and not overwhelmingly sweet. The only issue I ran into was the icing. I thought I followed the recipe, but it initially came out too runny. Adding more powdered sugar helped, though it definitely made it sweeter. Dave (my official - but peanut butter biased - taste tester) also tried one of Megan's cream soda cupcakes. His verdict? He preferred the cream soda version. Might be fun to try with cherry soda, too. (Or as I would call it, cherry pop!).

Because I chose to ice the cupcakes at the picnic, there aren't any pictures of the finished products. But here are some of the process :-)

Ingredients



Swirly Batter Fun

No comments: